The ancient Greeks and different forms of love
Human beings can experience different ways of loving in different relationships, whether with partners, friends, family members or even strangers on the street. The ancient Greeks understood this well, and identified several different styles of love.
Links between love styles and our personality
According to experts, one of the keys to making meaningful connections with others is understanding different love styles and how they relate to our personality. Silvia Sanz, clinical psychologist and sexologist, author of the book Sexamor, reveals some secrets for getting in touch with people who have a love style similar to our own.
Find a compatible partner with strategic questions
To determine whether our love style is similar to another person's, we can use a series of strategic questions during a conversation or in a profile on a dating app. Here are some examples of questions we can ask:
1. What attracts you most to a person? If physicality and passion are emphasized, this may correspond to the Eros love style. People who favor this style appreciate romantic rendezvous and moments of intimacy.
2. How would you describe the ideal long-term relationship? If the emphasis is on friendship, trust and emotional stability, it's likely to correspond to the Storge love style. These people are looking for solid, stable relationships, where trust and loyalty are paramount.
3. What activities do you like to do as a couple? If fun and exciting activities are mentioned, this may correspond to the Ludus love style. People who enjoy this style see love as a game and like to share free time together. They don't tend to look for serious commitments.
4. What is the importance of a stable and secure life in a relationship, and what is the main objective in seeking a relationship? If the importance of stability and security is emphasized, this is probably the pragmatic love style. These people prioritize the compatibility of values, goals and lifestyles when choosing a partner.
5. How do you deal with jealousy in a relationship? If the answer is to feel jealous and need constant attention and affection, this is the obsessive love style. People in this type of love often need constant reassurance that they are loved.
6. What do you think of unconditional, selfless love? Finally, if the other person values selfless love, focused on the other person's well-being and acceptance of his or her being, this is probably the Ägape style of love.
A better understanding of love styles to find love
According to experts, asking these strategic questions when dating can give you a clearer idea of the love styles predominant in the other person's personality and preferences. However, it's important to note that everyone may experience different love styles over the course of their lives, and that there is no pure or unchanging way to love. The key is to find a compatible partner with whom we can build a fulfilling relationship. So, are you ready to meet your soul mate?