A 55-year-old West Midlands resident had the shock of his life when he discovered a deadly Brazilian spider in the banana pack he bought from the supermarket. The critter was picked up by the RSPCA agents and donated to the Bristol Zoo. No one was hurt during the incident.
Deadly Brazilian Spider Pops Out of Banana Pack
Neil Langley is a 55-year-old West Midlands resident who’s been working for some time at the Department of Work and Pensions. The man recalled going to the local Asda supermarket for some groceries and picked up some bananas for his lunch pack.
While at work, the man reached into the pack in order to get banana but stopped for a second when he noticed that something was out of place. Upon taking a closer look, what looked like a foul fruit was actually an adult Brazilian wandering spider, one of the most venomous arachnids known to South America.
According to the RSPCA agents, Langley’s encounter with the little red-jawed critter could have ended badly. In most cases, the spider’s bit can cause priapism in men, a painful sexual dysfunction that causes the penis to stay erect for several hours.
Other symptoms associated with the Brazilian wandering spider’s bite include convulsions, blurred vision, nausea, generalized pain, sweating, and vertigo. Doctors declared that small children present a high risk when exposed to the spider’s venom, death occurring in just a few hours.
Fortunately, the RSPCA agents arrived on time and were successful in capturing and containing the deadly Brazilian spider. Langley, who declared that he’s somewhat of an arachnid lover, declared that, under these circumstances, he was a bit unnerved to find himself so close to one as dangerous as the Brazilian wandering spider.
The Brazilian stowaway was later donated to the Bristol Zoo. Langley said that he was in a meeting when the RSPCA agents came.
Image source: Wikipedia