This Easter, dog owners should be careful with the treats and keep them away from their pets. They are advised not to let their dogs eat any kind of sweet Easter treats, as chocolate is extremely toxic for dogs and it might be fatal for them. However, this is not the only food that people should avoid offering their dogs.
Certain Easter treats might be harmful for your dog
Everybody garnishes their Easter table with a lot of sweets and chocolate eggs. Make sure you keep these treats just for yourself, as you do not want your holiday ruined if your beloved pet gets sick after feasting on such food.
Chocolate might look appealing for puppies, but do not allow it under any circumstances to have any. If the dog happens to eat some, go see a veterinarian immediately and inform him on the kind of chocolate the pup ate and how much.
Darker chocolate is more dangerous for dogs, as it contains more theobromine. The typical symptoms which occur after a dog has eaten chocolate are diarrhea, hyperactivity, vomiting, a rapid heart rate and breathing. Sometimes, the dog might even experience seizures.
Fruits might seem healthy, but this applies only to humans. Raisins or grapes can also be dangerous for dogs. Firstly, the animal might experience some vomiting or diarrhea. It is better if you intervene as quickly as possible, before it becomes lethargic and loses its appetite.
Nuts are also not safe for a dog. Besides the choking hazard, a large amount of nuts might make your dog collapse. Make sure that you keep these supervised and do not let any piece fall on the floor.
Onion, garlic, and sugar-free sweets are more dangerous
Onion and garlic also belong to the class of foods which dogs should not eat. If consumed in high quantities, garlic powder might be bad for your dog. Onions also share some substances with garlic, and they might do more harm. These are more dangerous because it is harder to spot the symptoms. Usually, the dogs experience acute tiredness and lethargy.
In the end, the most dangerous treat are sugar-free sweets. These include mints, chewing gum, or candy which contain a chemical sweetener called xylitol. This is extremely dangerous even if ingested in small quantities, and it might prove lethal if the dog consumes a lot of it.
Thus, pay attention to what your dog eats, keep it supervised, and go to a veterinarian immediately if the animal experiences unpleasant symptoms. If you make sure everything your dog stays away from Easter treats, you may enjoy your holiday without worrying that something might go wrong.
Image Source: Public Domain Pictures