An 8-year-old boy recently passed away at a Portland Children’s Hospital after contracting flesh-eating bacteria. The boy’s parents said that his symptoms started to surface after a minor injury he sustained while riding his bike.
Minor Bike Accident Invites Flesh-Eating Bacteria
Sara Hebard, the mother of 8-year-old Liam Flanagan, declared that her son was out playing outside, riding his bike down a hill. The event that would change the family’s life forever took place on the 13th of January.
While riding his bike down the slope, Liam lost control and crashed into a dirt mount. During his fall, the bike’s handlebar came loose and lacerated Liam’s thigh. After arriving home and telling his parents what happened, the family decided to take him to the local hospital.
As the laceration was deep enough, Liam required seven stitches. However, the doctors decided that the wound was a minor one and did not require antibiotics. Liam was sent home and expected to make a complete recovery.
Still, the days went by, and the Oregon boy did not show any signs of improvement. More than that, the child complained of pain in the sutured area. His parents first dismissed this sign, as this was the boy’s first injury which required stitches.
However, several days later, the child complained that the pain was much worse and, after undressing him, his parents discovered that his entire side area was discolored. A second trip to the hospital followed.
After consulting the boy, the doctors decided to airlift him to a Portland hospital for emergency surgery, as he has contracted necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating bacteria.
Despite the doctors’ best efforts to stem the infection through amputations and antibiotics, the boy passed away several days later at the hospital. The family has set up a GoFundMe account to cover for Liam’s medical and funeral expenses.
Image source: Wikipedia