According to a recent CDC (the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) report Americans do not consume enough fruits and vegetables. Even though the benefits of vegetables and fruits for health have long been emphasized by experts the low intake of fruit and vegetables among Americans is worrying.
The report indicates that only 15 percent of the American population consumes fruits and vegetables, whereas the rest of 85 percent adopt a fast food diet. The report also indicates that only 13 percent of the population has a fruit and vegetable intake which is above the recommended one and 8.9 percent of the population does not eat fruit and vegetables at all.
Experts say that they main reason why this is happening is because they do not have enough time to prepare their own food and thus they consume burgers and fries which saves them time. The CDC says that the results of the report are shocking taking into account the fact that the population is aware of how unhealthy a diet which lacks fruits and vegetables is. The researchers also noted that healthcare workers should do something so that the consumption of these goods should increase. They remarked:
“Increased attention to food environments in multiple settings, including child care, schools, communities and worksites, might help improve fruit and vegetables intake, and thus help prevent chronic disease.”
According to the government dietary guidelines people should eat one and a half or two cups or fruits and two or three cups of vegetables daily.
It seems that California was the state with the highest consumption of vegetables and fruits: 13 percent of the residents consume the ideal amount of vegetables and 18 percent consume the right amount of fruits daily. The state with the lowest intake of fruits and vegetables was Mississippi where only six percent of the residents consume the required amount of vegetables and eight percent consume the ideal amount of fruit.
Nutritionists believe that the lack of fruits and vegetables from people’s diets will also affect the future generations and those who will not consume enough of these goods will be more likely to develop diseases such as cancer, stroke, heart disease and obesity.
Image Source: workoutguidance.com