The blast has injured nearly a dozen of people and the leveled three apartment buildings and the police are searching for at least two missing people.
De Blasio said, “There is a possibility here that the gas line was inappropriately accessed internally” by someone in one of the destroyed building and to further explore the incident officials need to get access to its basement.
The blast occurred on Thursday and the number of people injured rose from 19 to 22, and four of them are critically injured.
The two people still missing are identified as Moises Lucon, a worker there, and Nicholas Figueroa, he a bowling alley worker and he had been on date at Sushi restaurant which is in the building.
Officials were exploring whether the third person was unaccounted for.
Plumbing and gas work inside the building is responsible for the blast, according to the preliminary investigation.
Inspectors with utility Consolidated Edison visited to the East Village building to check the ongoing work to upgrade gas service.
Con Ed said inspectors didn’t smell gas at that location.
But 15 minutes later the sushi restaurant owner smelled gas and called the landlord who in turn called the general contractor.
De Blasio said, but no one called 911 or Con Ed.