Garmin has this week launched two newly updated versions of its action cameras in its VIRB action cam lineup.
The two new cameras, which now take the forms of the X and XE action cameras, continue to match the footsteps of Garmin’s first generation cams as it heavily focuses on sensor data as well as internal metrics.
The new Garmin VIRB X comes with a price tag of USD 299, while the Garmin VIRB XE is priced at USD 400.
The Garmin VIRB XE and Garmin VIRB X offer 1440p at 30 fps as well as 12 mega-pixel still images and 720p at 60 fps or 30 fps respectively.
The two latest Garmin action camera models come with waterproof technology and are down to 50 meters without the requirement for an extra case. Moreover, they are fitted with a one-inch screen on the rear side in order to view the footage as well as camera angles while setting up in the desired way.
Here are some of the key specifications of both models:
- Enabled with GPS, WiFi, accelerometer, and complete ANT+ sensor capabilities
- Addition of gyroscope
- Increased sensor data collection at higher rate
- Waterproofed to 50-meters
- Slight resolution surge to 1440/30p for VIRB XE
- Flat front glass/case that Garmin says will repel water droplets
- New slow-mo options: 240fps @ 480p, and 120fsp @ 720p (XE only)
- Ability to connect to Bluetooth 4.0 audio devices
- Ability to connect to supported Bluetooth-enabled OBD sensors
- ‘Pro’ mode for adjustments of white balance, ISO, sharpness, color profile and exposure bias
- New continuous photo mode
- Option for auto image rotation
- New photo burst to 30 frames per second for VIRB XE
- New photo burst to 10 frames per second for VIRB X
- Camera ‘sleep’ feature in between long-interval time lapses (nearly 120-seconds now)
- Ability to capture Garmin Vector Cycling Dynamics data and Garmin HRM-RUN Running Dynamics
- Dedicated photo-taking button
- Advanced microphone that isn’t obstructed by rubber stopper, works underwater
- Ability to share images or videos directly from Garmin VIRB mobile app
- Ability to create dashboard/gauge overlays form the Garmin VIRB mobile application on footages
- Uses GoPro mount on camera itself
- Ability to control as well as stream about 10 cameras from Garmin VIRB mobile app
- Comes with support for 128GB micro-SD cards