In personal relationships, it's essential to invest our time and energy in people who truly appreciate us and bring richness to our lives.
If you're having doubts and want to know if you're wasting time with someone, there are a number of signs that can help you find out. Sometimes it can be very complex to know whether you're wasting time with someone or not, but as we've mentioned, there are clear signs that can warn us that we're in a relationship that really isn't right for us.
Signs that you're wasting time with someone
Signs that you're wasting time with someone are as follows:
Lack of compromise
One of the signs that may lead you to think you're wasting your time with someone who isn't the right person for you is their lack of commitment. If the other party avoids conversations that have to do with your future together or prefers to avoid long-term goals, this can be a clear sign that you're wasting time. A solid, lasting relationship requires commitment and effort from both members.
A healthy relationship is based on the fact that there is reciprocity between the two parties, in which one member and the other give and receive equally. If you think you're giving everything of yourself, devoting effort, energy, time and resources to the other person without them doing the same, it's very possible that you're wasting time with them, because they're someone who doesn't appreciate your efforts.
Disrespect or psychological violence
The fifth indication that you're wasting time with someone is one of the most obvious signs, and this can be seen in disrespect or emotional abuse. Respect between the two is essential in any healthy relationship, so if you see that the other person is humiliating you or subjecting you to some kind of emotional abuse, you should stop investing your time with them.
One of the fundamental pillars of any relationship is communication. If there's poor communication between the two of you, in which you constantly have to fight to be clear and open with the other person, or if you feel that they're not listening to you or understanding you, it's very possible that the other party isn't as involved as you are.
Lack of interest in dreams and goals
A person who really cares about you will be interested in your goals and dreams, and will also support and help you achieve them. If you think the other person shows little interest in your aspirations and doesn't encourage you to achieve what you're looking for, this is one of the signs that may lead you to think you're wasting time with him or her.
The keys to a healthy relationship
Once you're clear on the signs that can indicate if you're wasting time with someone, it's worth remembering the keys you need to consider in order to enjoy a healthy relationship, and they are as follows:
- A love of freedom: you need to be clear in a couple that one doesn't belong to the other, and that each is the one who should freely decide to have a relationship with you and leave if they feel so. This means that everyone should have their own private space, their own intimacy.
- The importance of communication: good communication is one of the fundamental pillars of a couple, since it's what enables them to create a life together. It's recommended that discussions be constructive, showing how you feel and avoiding accusing the other, as well as tackling only one subject at a time.
- Share quality time: it's important that, as a couple, you share quality time, share hobbies and moments together, such as weekend getaways, going out for dinner or lunch, going to the movies, and so on.
- Never stop caring for the relationship: it's common for each to show the other the best at the start of a relationship, be thoughtful, give compliments, etc. However, over time, it's also common for these gestures to occur less frequently and even disappear. For this reason, you should never stop taking care of your relationship.
- Respect and trust: Respect and trust are two of the most important elements in a healthy relationship. You have to respect and trust the other person, because that's what love is all about. Relationships based on jealousy and lack of respect are doomed to failure, and even more so if there are cases of infidelity.
- Don't change the other person: a common mistake is to try to make the other person change, but in reality, a person only changes when they really want to change or when their environment changes. For this reason, if at any time you want your partner to change, the best thing to do is to change yourself.
I was an intern at the editorial office. When I saw their ad for a freelancer, I decided to come back. I'm a fan of series and movies, I spend my weekends at the cinema and my nights in front of Netflix