Having trouble saving money? Would you like to make better financial decisions to secure your future?
The Kakeibo method could well be the solution you're looking for. Invented in Japan in 1904 by Hani Motoko, this budgeting method was designed to help women take control of their finances. It's based on the idea of conscious, deliberate saving, with an emphasis on full spending awareness. Discover how to apply this method to your daily life and transform your financial habits.
Become aware of your buying habits
Impulse buying can interfere with your ability to save. Whether out of boredom, stress, dissatisfaction or simply to please ourselves, we all tend to spend money without thinking. To change these harmful financial habits, Kakeibo offers a different approach. It invites you to make a note of each expenditure, so that you can become aware of the reasons behind each purchase. Thanks to this method, you'll be able to better understand how you spend your money and identify areas where you could save.
The principles of Kakeibo
Kakeibo involves recording all your expenses in a notebook, without any complex formulas or pay-per-use applications. At the beginning of each month, draw up a budget by noting your expected income, your fixed expenses and set a savings target. Then classify your expenses into four main categories:
- Necessities: rent, bills, food, transportation (essential expenses)
- Desires: dining out, clothing, entertainment (pleasant but unnecessary purchases)
- Culture: book purchases, museum visits, concerts (cultural activities)
- Unforeseen expenses: repairs, unexpected gifts, emergencies (unusual expenses)
Keeping track of your spending and progress will help you assess whether you're on track with your initial goals. Ask yourself regular questions about how much money you have, how much you want to save and how much you actually spend. This will enable you to become aware of your spending habits and modify them if necessary to save more.
Tips for more conscious spending
The Kakeibo method doesn't seek to remove all joy from your life, it aims to modify your bad financial habits through gradual changes. Here are some simple tips for spending more consciously:
- Wait 24 hours before making a purchasing decision. Take a step back and think about whether you really need it.
- Don't be swayed by big sales. Buying a promotional item isn't a saving if you don't actually use it.
- Check your bank balance regularly. This will help you know how much you can really spend.
- Only use the money you withdraw at the beginning of the week. This will give you better control over your spending and prevent you from spending without realizing it with your bank card.
By applying these tips and committing yourself to full financial awareness, you can transform your buying habits and save up to 35% of your monthly expenses. So don't wait any longer, adopt the Kakeibo method and take control of your finances today!