Warning: These 5 Foods You May Be Feeding Your Dog Are Toxic to His Health!

As a pet owner, you're likely aware of the importance of providing your dog with a healthy that meets their nutritional needs. While it is essential to ensure your pup is getting the and they need for growth and development, you should also be mindful of potential hazards in their .

Here is a list of five foods you may have been giving your pup without realizing that they are toxic to his health.


contains two compounds called theobromine and caffeine which can be poisonous to dogs if eaten in large quantities. Ingestion of chocolate could result in vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration, increased heart rate, and even death. All types of chocolate should be avoided, though dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk or white chocolate due to its higher concentration of theobromine.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Dehydration
  • Increased heart rate
  • Agitation
  • Sudden collapse
  • Seizures

If you believe your dog has consumed any type of chocolate, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately. The vet will likely induce vomiting medication to help remove the toxins from your pup's system before they cause serious health issues.


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many human products such as sugar free gum, candy, baked goods, toothpaste, and some medications. Ingestion of xylitol can cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar levels, seizures, kidney damage, liver failure, and even death in dogs. It is best to keep all products containing xylitol away from at all times.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning

  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Coordination problems
  • Loss of balance
  • Depression
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

If you think your pup has ingested xylitol, seek right away. Time is of the essence when it comes to treating xylitol poisoning, so don't delay!


Consumption of alcohol can be hazardous to pets, leading to vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, coma, and even death. Alcoholic beverages should be kept out of reach of animals at all times.

Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Decreased coordination
  • Central nervous system depression
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coma

If you suspect your dog has ingested any kind of alcoholic beverage, contact your veterinarian right away. Treatment typically consists of supportive care, such as intravenous fluids, oxygen supplementation, and monitoring of vital signs.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are often given as treats to dogs, but they can be toxic to some animals. Consumption of grapes or raisins can lead to acute renal failure in dogs, where the kidneys suddenly stop functioning properly. Although the exact source of toxicity is unknown, ingestion of grapes or raisins can be fatal.

Symptoms of Grapes/Raisins Poisoning

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Kidney failure

If you think your pup has ingested grapes or raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately. Treatment usually involves inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care such as intravenous fluids.

Onions, Garlic, and Chives

Onions, , and chives all belong to the Allium and can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large amounts. Consuming too much of these vegetables can cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, leading to anaemia. Signs of onion, garlic, or chive poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, pale gums, and increased thirst and urination.

Symptoms of Onion, Garlic, and Chive Poisoning

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Anaemia

If your pup has eaten any onions, garlic, or chives, seek veterinary assistance as soon as possible. Depending on the severity of the poisoning, your vet may recommend inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care such as intravenous fluids.

It is important to always check the ingredients of anything you give your pup and avoid feeding them anything potentially harmful. By being mindful of what you feed your furry friend, you can avoid any incidents of poisoning or other health issues.

3.8/5 - (13 votes)